What do you get when you combine fruit, coconut milk, and a food processor? Delicious in a dish. This has been by far our favorite dessert/snack during our Whole30 challenge. It helps kill the sweet cravings while packing a nutritional punch. Plus feeling like you’re eating ice cream doesn’t hurt either. 😉
Our next plan is to try this with banana and chocolate layers.
Healthy Blueberry Banana Parfait
5 medium frozen bananas
8 Tbl. coconut milk
8 oz. frozen blueberries
- Cut the bannas into 1-2 inch slices.
- Place the banana slices in a freezer bag and into the freezer.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Place your serving dishes/glasses in the freezer. This will chill them so they don’t melt the dessert before you eat it.
- Remove the bag bananas from the freezer, and let it sit for about 10 minutes. You may need to break the slices apart.
- Place frozen banana slices in a food processor and process them until they’re small bits.
- Add the coconut milk one tablespoon at a time. I do this while the food processor is running.
- Once it’s smooth, scoop about 1/4 to 1/3 of the mixture into the serving glasses/bowls.
- Place the glasses/bowls back in the freezer.
- Scoop another 1/4 of the mixture into another bowl. Place this bowl in the freezer. This will be used later for the second banana layer.
- Add the blueberries to the food processor. Process until smooth. Add extra coconut milk if necessary.
- Scoop 1/2 of the mixture into your serving glasses/bowls.
- Top those scoops with another layer of the banana mixture (no blueberries).
- Finish it off with the remaining blueberry mixture.
If you happen to have extra of either flavor, it can be frozen in a container and eaten later.
The great debate in our house is whether this tastes better fresh from the food processor or after it’s been back in the freezer for a bit. If you like softer, fluffier desserts, it’s best right out of the food processor. If you want your ‘ice cream’ a bit more solid, pop these back in the freezer for 30 minutes or so.
I’m sharing this post at:
:: Tasty Tuesday hosted by Balancing Beauty & Bedlam
:: Works for Me Wednesday hosted by We Are THAT Family
:: Ultimate Recipe Swap hosted by Life As Mom
:: Finer Things Friday hosted by The Finer Things in Life