Today’s guest post is from Ann from Coupons Deals and More. I met Ann online as a fellow frugal blogger quite a while ago, and I got to meet her in person at the Savvy Blogging Summit in July. Enjoy her tips on a unique way to snag some freebies!
Not sure how to dumpster dive? Questioning if there is a protocol? Well here are some tips and hints to assure yourself of a succesful dumpster diving experience.
- Do make certain that dumpster diving is legal in your municipality.
- Do take the time to scout your location. A drive by, a walk by, a bicycle by all will help with familiarity, is it worthwhile, and the best time to dumpster dive. The last thing you want is an audience watching you when you pull out your haul.
- Do check for rodents or other “friends” before inserting hands (or half your body) into the dumpster.
- Do watch so the lid does not slam down on you.
- Do be aware of sharp objects or caustic chemicals when diving.
- Do bring rubber gloves (and wear them!), a flashlight, a poker stick (one with a curved end to bring up bundles of coupons is ideal!), a step stool, and a razor blade with you.
- Do leave immediately if request to by store management, security or the police.
- Don’t dive if there is a lock on the dumpster or a sign prohibiting trespassing.
- Don’t dive alone! Safety is very important.
- Don’t actually get in the dumpster. Getting out may be impossible. Nothing is worth your safety.
- Don’t leave a mess! The quickest way to shut down dumpster access is to leave the trash outside the dumpster. Put back what you are not taking!
Scouting out the locale is very important. You are trying to find “the” dumpster in your area for discarded coupon bundles. This could be behind a gas station, a grocery store, or where the random newspaper distributor dumps their leftovers. The best day of the week could vary too. Saturday, Sunday and Monday are best guesses, but that might vary by area. You’ll definitely have to do some homework if you plan on dumpster diving.
Ann has been couponing for over 25 years. She writes Coupons, Deals and More.
This post is linked to Frugal Friday hosted by Life as Mom.