If you planted green peppers and tomatoes this summer, this recipe is a good way to use both.
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
2 medium green peppers cut into 1 inch chunks
30 oz. can of tomato sauce
2 pouches of Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice – whole grain brown (or make your own and don’t cook it quite all the way)
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
2 1/2 t. dried basil
1/4 c. diced onions
1 lb. ground beef
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese (or cheddar-jack blend)
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
2 large Roma tomatoes (or 1 regular tomato) – diced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the ground beef with the onion. Drain.
- Boil pepper chunks for 2 minute. Remove from water and place on paper towels to remove excess water.
- Combine all but cheese in a 9×12 glass baking dish.
- Cover and bake 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Return to the oven. Bake uncovered for 7-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
This tastes just like stuffed peppers, but you don’t have to go through the process of spooning the mix into the peppers or cutting up the peppers after they’re cooked.