I’m a huge fan of keeping easy meals in your pantry or freezer. You just never know when life will happen and you’ll need something quick for dinner. Tostadas are one solution that I turn to when time is tight. I can keep the shells, salsa, and refried beans in the cupboard and add whatever else we happen to have on hand. Today it was part of a rotisserie chicken and some lettuce and tomatoes. They might be good with a dollop of sour cream on top or with ground beef instead of chicken.
I made 10 tostadas with the ingredients below, but I only used about half of the refried bean/salsa mixture. It freezes well, so I always mix up the full can of beans.
Chicken & Cheese Tostada
16 oz. can refried beans
1 c. salsa
2 c. diced chicken (already cooked)*
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with foil or parchment paper.
- Place tostada shells on cookie sheets.
- In a bowl, mix refried beans and salsa. (If the mixture looks like canned dog food at this point, you know you’re doing it right. I promise it tastes better than it looks.)
- Spread some of the bean/salsa mix on each tostada shell. I used about 2 tablespoons per shell, but you can use more or less.
- Sprinkle chicken on top of the bean/salsa mix.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the chicken.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted and chicken is warm*.
- Serve with your choice of toppings.
*Chicken Note: Because the cheese melts quickly, it helps to warm the chicken before you assemble these. They’re not in the oven long enough to get the chicken really hot.
I’m sharing this post at:
:: Manic Monday Recipe Roundup hosted by For The Mommas
:: Mouthwatering Monday hosted by A Southern Fairytale
:: Tip Me Tuesday hosted by Tip Junkie
:: Tasty Tuesday hosted by Balancing Beauty & Bedlam
:: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday hosted by Blessed with Grace
:: Tuesdays at the Table hosted by All the Small Stuff
:: Look What I Made hosted by A Thrifty Mom
:: Works for Me Wednesday hosted by We Are THAT Family
:: Strut Your Stuff Thursdays hosted by Somewhat Simple
:: I’m Lovin’ It Fridays hosted by Tidy Mom
:: Homemaking Link-Up hosted by Raising Homemakers
:: Sundae Scoop Party hosted by I Heart Nap Time