Around here, birthdays call for a Deep Dark Chocolate Cake. This is the best chocolate cake I’ve ever had.
Deep Dark Chocolate Cake
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey’s cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup lighter flavor olive oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Begin heating water in your tea kettle.
- Grease and flour a 13×9 cake pan (or two 9-inch rounds).
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed of electric mixer for two minutes.
- Stir in the boiling water. (This will REALLY thin the batter.)
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 35-40 minutes for 13×9 pan
- 30-35 minutes for two 9-inch rounds
We usually top this cake with vanilla frozen yogurt, Hershey’s chocolate syrup, and a little sprinkle of mini chocolate chips.